Principles of Electro Technology: (5 Days)
This science workshop gives you the foundation knowledge to fully understand how and why electrical systems works,
which is essential when considering progression onto Pat Testing
and Inspection and Testing City & Guilds 2391 and other contractor short courses.
This theory workshop explains the science of electro technology. Why things work? Why circuit breakers work? What do transformer do? what is electricity? From voltage to Ohms law interesting and essential information for the electrical contractor.
- The main objective of this module is to give you the foundation knowledge of science and electrical fundamentals to fully understand how and why an electrical system works which is essential when considering progression onto the City & Guilds 2391 Testing and Inspection , ECO PV installation , Contractor short Courses and into the lucrative opportunities of commercial electrical installations where a deeper understanding is required.
- Simple electrical circuit theory:
- Ohms Law
- Using digital multimeters to measure resistance, voltage and current
- Practical workshop including the building a simple electrical circuits calculating the expected value of current and measuring the actual resistance, voltage and current
- DC series circuits, this follows the theory then practical route
- DC parallel circuits, again this follows the theory then practical route reinforcing the use of previously learnt techniques.
- DC series parallel circuits, following the same pattern as the previous day
- Power, solving power problems using power formulae
- Electromagnetism and electromagnets.
Knowledge of electrical science is essential when progressing onto Solar PV, 2391 and other contractors courses where a deeper understanding is required. Fundamentals of electricity:
- Electron theory including atomic elements and free electrons
- Charge and attraction
- Coulombs Law
- Conductors, Insulators and Semiconductors
- Electrical symbols and mathematical prefixes.
- AC Theory
- Introduction to AC, sine waves, single and 3 phase supplies
- AC generation
- Voltage and current, peak, instantaneous and RMS values
- Relationship between line and phase voltage in a 3 phase system
- Transformer theory, calculation and practical.
- Capacitance theory, calculation and practical
- Inductance theory, calculation and practical
- Impedance theory, and calculation of circuit impedance.